- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

The FBI reportedly sought nuclear documents during a search of the Trump resortMEERI News

- Advertisment -

The Washington Post reported Thursday that the FBI allegedly sought classified documents related to nuclear weapons when the bureau searched former US President Donald Trump’s Florida residence, Mar-a-Lago, earlier this week.

The newspaper cited people familiar with the research as saying that the disclosure reflected concern among government officials that Trump and his team had worried about the sensitive nature of information at the resort after they left the White House.

It is unclear what kind of documents the FBI sought or whether they related to nuclear weapons belonging to the United States or other countries.

Attorney General Merrick Garland said Thursday that he personally approved the FBI’s decision to seek a search warrant for Mar-a-Lago, and said he had approached the Justice Department to make the warrant public. Authorities were reportedly searching for any potentially sensitive classified documents that were improperly transported to the resort.

Garland declined Thursday to provide details about the investigation and did not say what the FBI found.

“The public’s clear and compelling interest in understanding what transpired under these circumstances weighs heavily in favor of unsealing,” a motion to unseal the search warrant, the Thursday filing read. . “That said, the former president should have an opportunity to respond to the proposal and file objections, including any potential ‘legitimate privacy interests’ or other ‘injury’ if the material is made public.”

Trump condemned the FBI investigation on Monday evening, declaring: “These are dark times for our country.”

“This has never happened before to a president of the United States,” he said in a statement. “Such an attack can only happen in broken, third world countries. Sadly, America has now become one of those countries, at a level never seen before.

The government’s concern over the documents comes after the National Archives earlier this year recovered 15 boxes that Trump took with him when he left office. The agency said in February that those boxes contained classified information and other material under the Presidential Records Act, which requires such items to be turned over to the federal government.

But in recent months officials had become concerned that the president had not turned over all the documents he had.

The New York Times reported Thursday that the Justice Department sent a subpoena to Trump last spring seeking any additional classified material.

The former president and his allies began spreading a conspiracy theory that any damaging documents found during the search were planted there by the FBI. The agency’s current director, Christopher Wray, was appointed in 2017 after Trump fired James Comey.

The research has widened the ideological divide regarding the former president and his continuing influence on American politics. Republicans have condemned the FBI — with some clamoring for the agency to be defunded — and Trump supporters have rushed to its defense.

FBI agents were engaged in a standoff in Ohio on Thursday with a gunman who allegedly tried to break into the bureau’s Cincinnati office. The man, who was killed by officers, had previously made threats against the agency.

.

The Ultimate Managed Hosting Platform
RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

- Advertisment -